Demigod in the cosmology of the Six Realms of Existence; in Sanskrit, sura means “god” and the prefix a implies a negative, so an asura is a non-god. Beings in the asura realm can see into heaven and are consumed with envy for what they do not have, even though on the Wheel of Life they are relatively fortunate.« Back to Glossary Index
Or Make a One-Time Donation
Subscribe via email to receive notifications of new posts:
- 119 – Brightening the Mind: Refusing to be Tyrannized by Negative States
- Facing Extinction 1: A Personal Journal (Nov 3-9, 2019)
- 118 – Buddha’s Teachings 15: Nibbana (Nirvana) as the Ultimate Goal
- 117 – Clarifying the Mind Ground According to Keizan’s “Zazen-Yojinki”
- 116 – Do You Need a Zen or Buddhist Teacher?