« Back to Glossary Index
- 22 - How Buddhists Should Behave: Evolution of the Buddhist Precepts Part 1Many people are unaware that, from the beginning, Buddhism has said as much about how you should behave in your daily life as it does about meditation or study. In this episode, I cover the first Buddhist teachings about moral conduct, and then talk about the evolution of the Buddhist precepts, including the code of discipline for fully ordained monks and nuns.
- 20 - The Heart Sutra Part 2: Line by Line Explanation, ContinuedIn this episode I complete my line-by-line exploration of the Heart Sutra. I cover what the sutra means when its says "there is no" such-and-such, why it proceeds through such long lists of things that don't exist the way we conceive of them (and what those lists refer to), and the significance of the mantra presented at the end.
- 19 - The Heart Sutra Part 1: Introduction to the Most Common Mahayana TextThe Heart Sutra is probably the best-known Buddhist text in the world. It's less than 250 words long and considered to present the essence of Mahayana Buddhism. However, its meaning – and its attraction to Buddhists – may not be immediately evident! In this episode, I first recite the Heart Sutra for you and give you a brief overview of its history to provide you with a little context. Then I start working my way through the text line by line, offering definitions of terms, explaining references, and giving you a sense of the teaching being conveyed. I'll finish the line-by-line analysis in the next episode.
- 17 - Life of Shakyamuni Buddha Part 3: Buddha's First Sermons and Students, and the Early SanghaThis is the first episode of two on the Buddha's 45-year teaching career and the establishment of the Buddhist community. I’ll talk about the Buddha’s first sermons, the enlightenment of the first disciples, the first lay students of the Buddha and how lay practice figures into early Buddhism, and the initial formation of the ordained Sangha and how they practiced on a daily basis.
- General Topic CategoriesBrowse Zen Studies Podcast topics: Zen Teachings, Buddhist Teachings, History & Seminal Texts, Zen Practices, and Dharma Talks.